Monday, November 5, 2007

Chapters 21-26

This was the ending section of the book. It started off with setting up the party. I thought it was so cute how Sweetie Pie Thomas brought all those pictures to decorate the trees. You can tell she really wants a dog of her own!

When it started to rain, I started thinking that Winn Dixie was going to run off. Before they even mentioned it in the book. I really liked this quote from Gloria on page 159, "There ain't no way you can hold on to something that wants to go, you understand? You can only love what you got while you got it." I love love love this quote! If I only knew a bunch of old people that were this wise, I'd probably look at the world so much differently. I think there needs to be a course taught at Texas State by senior citizens that teaches students how to deal with issues. I mean, they've been through it all right?! I may do that when I'm old...I'll keep you posted.

When Opal was looking for Winn Dixie she started thinking of the ten things she loved about him. This showed the reader that she really cared for this dog, as a friend and best friend. This part was really sad. I thought it was really nice of her dad to keep looking for Winn Dixie with her in the rain no less! My family probably wouldn't do that with me. Blah!

I was so excited when they finally found Winn Dixie. I know that feeling when a pet runs off and thinking of all the bad things that could be happening to them. It's horrible! Not sure if I'm ready for kids... When she finds Winn Dixie she mentions how her heart fills up with love. She starts "talking" to her mom and tells her that she doesn't think about her as much. Opal also remembers her tree she planted a while back and although it's not big, it's getting bigger. This symbolizes Opal herself and how she has grown as a person.

1 comment:

Dora said...

I totally agree with you, old people are knowledgeable and give good advices. I also liked the quote from Gloria, it was very well said, and have a powerful meaning. Great idea! It would be cool to have a class taught by senior citizens to give us young students advices how to deal with our problems.