Monday, November 5, 2007

Conclusion

I WANTED THE MOM TO COME BACK! I was kind of disappointed...but I'm one of those people who only likes something with a perfect ending! One of the other things I didn't like was that Opal seemed too mature for her age. The way she thought about situations and about the problems she encountered. I'm sure this is because it wasn't actually written by a young child.

Overall, I thought it was a good book. It's a good book that can teach children how to see the good in people, and how to solve different problems. It's so common in today's society that mom's/dad's leave the house and children do not know how to deal with this at such a young age. Some children also have to deal with moving from town to town and making new friends all the time. This book goes against the stereotypical "perfect" book that I used to read when I was a kid. By this I mean, mom and dad, living in a middle class society, having tons of friends, and just playing all the time.

I would recommend this book to students around the age of 10. Now off to see the movie!

2 comments:

Marva Solomon said...

The movie is great. I think you will enjoyed it. They only added a few goofy scenes because I guess they think movie goers are stupid.

I don't mind Opal's maturity. She's an old soul. What's sometimes hard for me to understand sometimes is that some kids have hard lives. Even by 8 or 9 they have seen a lot, and understand the themes in Winn Dixie. And then there are some who just really empathetic. So I think it's okay that Opal is mature and deals with mature issues.
I like your pictures. How did you find the reading of Winn Dixie? That is cool!

Monica said...

Hey Melanie, I read your blog after I posted my last comment and I totally agree with you, I was also thinking and hoping Opal's mom return but that didn't happened. Now I want to watch the movie to see if it is as good as the book.