Friday, October 12, 2007

Chapters 1-6

This book is really easy to read. I am actually getting really into the book and don't want to stop reading it! When Opal takes ownership of the homeless dog, it shows how compassionate she is and that she really cares for animals. I thought that what she did was a noble thing, with claiming the dog even though it had made such a mess in the grocery store. You can tell that Opal is a kind of a "loner" and that she doesn't have many friends. With her father being a preacher I can see how others may not want to be too close to her...they might assume that she will lecture them for things that they do that are considered "bad".

I can tell that Opal really misses having a mother figure around because that is really all she talks about with Winn Dixie. That's the cool thing about pets, you can tell them anything and don't have to worry about them judging you. Pets will always be your best friend and you know you will be able to trust them with all of your secrets.

In a way I feel sorry for Opal because it seems that her father is really wrapped up in his work for the church and doesn't give her the attention she needs. This is one of the main reasons I'm glad that her father let her keep the dog. Winn Dixie is a dog that she can tell her secrets to and express her feelings to. This is in a way, a type of outlet for Opal. She discusses topics with Winn Dixie such as her mom, and that is what gave her courage to ask her father about her mom. I think that Winn Dixie is a postitive addition to Opals life and I think they will become closer as I read on.

So far I really like this book and I'm sure it will just get better!

1 comment:

Lynda said...

I really enjoyed reading your review of the first six chapters. I couldn't agree with you more. I too am finding it incredibly difficult to put the book down. I wonder if Opal's mother will return - I hope she does.