Friday, October 19, 2007

Chapters 7-12

So, the last thing that happened was Opal reading the top ten things about her mother over and over. This made me sad and in this story I can see how lonely Opal is for her mother. In chapter seven, Miss Franny told her eventful bear story. I thought this story was so funny. I can just imagine in my mind how that whole scenario went. The funniest part is that I can see that bear reading his lovely book in the woods chuckling at the funny parts and crying at the sad. Ha Ha!

In chapter eight, Opal gets Winn Dixie a collar and a leash and Winn Dixie makes friends with Gertrude the talking Parrot. I thought it was really good that she was able to work for the collar and leash by coming by and sweeping the store. This shows Opal some responsibility with having a little job, and gives her a chance to have something to do during the day.

I notice throughout this book how much Opal yearns for her mother. I can just imagine how sad she is. She has the qualities of a strong child, and understands things that seem too complex for her at such a young age. Opal mentions how her mother would've loved Winn Dixie because he is so good at making friends, human and animal. It seems that having Winn Dixie around gives Opal courage for all sorts of things. He gives her courage to express her feelings, to meet new people, and one of the hardest obstacles, talking about her mother to her father.

Opal meets a new friend, Sweetie Pie Thomas who is only six years old, but Opal doesn't seem to mind. Sweetie Pie invites her to her birthday party even though it's not until September. This is when Opal starts to feel less lonely and actually feels as if people like her. This part of the book made me feel happy for Opal because she seems like such a nice kid. It's good that she's actually starting to build up her self-esteem. Opal also mentions on page 60 that "everything that happened this summer happened because of Winn Dixie". I agree and disagree with this statement. I think Winn Dixie is Opals outlet, but most of what has happened is because of Opal herself.

I'm very interested in this Gloria Dump character. I think there's more to her than what I've read so far and I can't wait to find out what it is. I wonder why the kids called her a witch? There has to be a reason, but I can't see her as being anything remotely close to that right now. It was nice that Opal was able to confide in a human about her feelings and about her mother. I also liked when they planted the tree and how they're going to watch it grow. I think this is such a great idea and it gives Opal a good excuse to hang out with Gloria.

So far this book is terrific! I can't seem to put it down. It's such an easy read and I'm tempted to keep going. I wonder what will happen next?

5 comments:

Lynda said...

I love how you set up your blog! It has so many interesting facets - particularly the interactive links. Great job!

angie said...

So did you think the book was a lot like the movie?

Melanie said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm anxious to compare them to each other!

Lynda, I was bored at work and started playing around with all of the settings. :-) Thanks for the compliment!

LeeAnne said...

I haven't seen the movie yet either but am looking forward to watching it after I finish the book. It will be fun to compare the book to the movie.

Ramon Silva said...

That is a totally way cool comment about the bear and the book. I can totally see the bear in the woods now, probably while pooping, reading his book. That would be great!